On this page you can find many answers to your questions about how to best prepare for your course, locations and what to expect.
- Please charge your camera battery! Bring an extra one if you have it handy. It is also a good idea to bring a charger as we will be taking hundreds of photographs over the day, some with flash.
- You will not need a tripod.
- Bring basic zoom lenses. A telephoto lens is optional but helpful in some exercises. Also bring prime (single-focus) lenses if you have them.
- Lunch and snacks are provided. Please let us know ASAP if you have any dietary restrictions.
- Basic course notes are included in your class. You may wish to bring extra paper and pen to take notes.
Outdoor Season (May – September)
- We will be conducting the class on the Alberta Legislature grounds. Please meet at the pedestrian footbridge by the waterworks. This bridge is located about 100 meters north of the Alberta Legislature building and south of the Visitor Centre. There is also a large fountain that is south of the bridge.
- The vast majority of the course is outdoors with little shelter. Please dress appropriately for conditions. This includes warm clothing, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, bugspray and other possible requirements. Watch out for the possible course cancellation approximately 24 hours in advance to the start of the course. You can find our weather cancellation policy in the terms and conditions located here.
- There is approximately 1 km of walking during the day. For those of you with very large zoom lenses, you may want to leave them at home instead of carrying it throughout the day.
- There is paid all-day parkade located on 107 St NW just south of the Alberta Legislature building.
- In our experience, on the weekends; visitor parking and street parking on 107 St NW limits are not enforced. However – be aware that this can change without notice.
Indoor Season (October – April)
- Courses take place at the Alberta Aviation Museum located at 11410 Kingsway Avenue NW.
- There is lots of free parking onsite.
- Ask for the Learn Photography Canada class when you arrive .
- Depending on the weather we may spend some short periods of time outside.
The Next Generation Digital II
- See basic notes from Digital I photography.
- The course takes place at the Alberta Aviation Museum located at 11410 Kingsway Avenue NW.
- Please bring all your lenses for this class, an external flash, and/or reflectors if you have it.
- Our class meets at the same footbridge at the Alberta Legislature as our Digital I session. The pedestrian footbridge is located just north (about 100m) of the Alberta Legislature building but south of the Visitor Centre.
- Please bring a tripod for this course as you cannot do this course without one. You can either purchase one or organize to rent one.
- If you have one, please bring an external flash.
- We will be providing snacks, but we recommend that you have dinner before the session. If you have any dietary requirements, please let us know.
- You will need at least one flashlight. A head torch is a good substitute, but please bring both if you have them.
- Our Portrait Photography course is at the Alberta Aviation Museum. There is plenty of complimentary parking on premises.
- If you have one, please bring a tripod and external flash. If you don’t have one, that’s ok too!
- If you have portrait photos that you love, please bring them and we will work on emulating these throughout the class.
- If you have any external lights please bring them too.
- Please bring your own laptop. This laptop will need to have Lightroom loaded on it. You can download Lightroom on a 30-day free trial from Adobe here.
- Please do not forget to bring your computer charger. Your computer will not last the day without it!
- If you have an external keyboard or mouse you may find this useful. Having them is not necessary.
- Please bring a picture(s) that you would like to edit. We will have time to work on this at the end of the class.