This page should answer any questions you may have on preparing for your course, what to bring, the locations and what to expect throughout the session. If you have any additional questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Please carefully read through all the details, including our Weather Cancellation Policy.
- Please charge your camera battery! Bring an extra one if you have it handy. You can also bring your charger since there is an opportunity to charge your battery during the session.
- If possible, clear your memory card before the class as you will be taking hundreds of photos during the course. Bringing an extra memory card with you also would be beneficial.
- You will not need a tripod for this course.
- Bring basic zoom lenses. A telephoto lens is optional but helpful in some exercises. Also bring prime (single-focus) lenses if you have them.
- Lunch and snacks are provided. Please let us know ASAP if you have any dietary restrictions.
- Basic course notes are included in your class. You may wish to bring extra paper and pen to take supplementary notes.
Outdoor Season (May – September)
- We will be conducting the class on the Alberta Legislature grounds from 10am to 4pm. Please meet at the pedestrian footbridge by the waterworks. This bridge is located about 100 meters north of the Alberta Legislature building and south of the Visitor Centre. There is also a large fountain that is south of the bridge.
- The vast majority of the course is outdoors with little shelter. Please dress appropriately for conditions. This includes warm clothing, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, bugspray and other possible requirements. Watch out for the possible course cancellation approximately 24 hours in advance to the start of the course. You can find our weather cancellation policy in the terms and conditions located here.
- There is approximately 1 km of walking during the day. For those of you with very large zoom lenses, you may want to leave them at home instead of carrying it throughout the day.
- There is paid all-day parkade located on 107 St NW just south of the Alberta Legislature building.
- In our experience, on the weekends; visitor parking and street parking on 107 St NW limits are not enforced. However – be aware that this can change without notice.
Indoor Season (October – April)
- Courses take place at the Alberta Aviation Museum located at 11410 Kingsway Avenue NW from 10am to 4pm.
- There is lots of free parking onsite.
- Ask for the Learn Photography Canada class when you arrive .
- Depending on the weather we may spend some short periods of time outside.
The Next Generation Digital II
- See basic notes from Digital I photography.
- In summer (May – September) the course takes place at the Alberta Legislature grounds from 10am to 4pm. Please meet at the pedestrian footbridge by the waterworks. This bridge is located about 100 meters north of the Alberta Legislature building and south of the Visitor Centre. There is also a large fountain that is south of the bridge.
- In winter (October – April) the course takes place at the Muttart Conservatory (9626 96A Street) from 10am to 4pm. Please meet just inside the entrance doors but before admission.
- Please bring all your lenses for this class – you will not need a flash or reflectors or a tripod.
- Our class meets at the same footbridge at the Alberta Legislature as our Digital I session, however this class runs from 8pm-12am. The pedestrian footbridge is located just north (about 100m) of the Alberta Legislature building but south of the Visitor Centre.
- You will need a tripod for this class. Please either purchase one or organize to rent one from a camera store in Calgary such as Vistek or The Camera Store. Please also test you tripod to make sure it works before the class.
- Please bring an external shutter release if you have one. No problems if you don’t.
- We recommend that you have dinner before the session.
- Please bring at least one flashlight. A head torch may be a good substitute or both is even better.
- Please dress VERY WARMLY. We will be spending a LOT of time standing still and you WILL GET COLD. More layers are better than less in this case ;).
- In summer, our Portrait Photography course is held at Whitemud Park from 10am to 4pm. We will be meeting in the parking lot closest to the Alfred H. Savage Centre (13909 Fox Drive NW).
- In winter, our Portrait Photography course is held at the Muttart Conservatory (9626 96A Street) from 10am to 4pm. Please note that portions of this course will take place outdoors (weather permitting) so please bring warm clothing with you.
- If you have one, please bring a reflector. If you don’t have one, that’s ok too!
- If you have portrait photos that you love, please bring them and we will work on emulating these throughout the class.
- Our Adobe Lightroom course is held at the Edmonton City Arts Centre (10943 – 84th Avenue NW) in the Conference Room. This class runs from 10am to 4pm.
- Please bring your own laptop. This laptop will need to have Lightroom loaded on it. You can download Lightroom on a 30-day free trial from Adobe here.
- Please do not forget to bring your computer charger. Your computer will not last the day without it!
- If you have an external keyboard or mouse you may find this useful. Having them is not necessary.
- Please bring the pictures that you would like to edit. We will have time to work on this at the end of the class.
Weather Cancellation Policy
We will likely postpone a course if any of these conditions are present:
- If the forecast predicts rain or snow of 60% probability or higher.
- If the forecast predicts that the day will be more than 60% cloudy or overcast.
- If the forecast predicts that temperatures will not rise higher than 10C for the day. Your safety, comfort and enjoyment are our highest priority. Photography should be FUN! (Not cold, or wet…).
Decisions regarding postponing will happen 24 to 48 hours in advance and exceptions may be made in certain circumstances.